Oyster Bay Firefighters Battle Two Blazes In Syosset In Same Day

On May 31, 2005 at 10:23 hours, the Oyster Bay Fire Department and Atlantic Steamer Fire Company were requested on a mutual aid call to the Syosset Fire Department for Tower Ladder 554 to respond to a Signal 10 House Fire at a home on Northern Blvd in Oyster Bay Cove. Under command of Chief Anthony DeCarolis, Tower Ladder 554 responded along with Utility Vehicle 5520 with manpower. The members went to work upon arrival. They manned hose lines that were being used to keep a propane cylinder in the rear of the house cooled down. As well as hose lines that were directed into the home to stop the progress of fire. Members also completed the task of overhaul later in the operation. Atlantic Steamer also responded with Ladder 551. Members from Oyster Bay worked with

Syosset, Locust Valley, Glenwood, Jericho, Plainview, East Norwich, and Bethpage Firefighters at this scene.

Members also responded to another house fire in Syosset later on that afternoon. At approx. 3 PM the Oyster Bay Fire Department was again alerted for a mutual aid call to the Syosset Fire Department for an Engine to respond to the scene of a Signal 10 house fire on Colony Lane in Syosset. Oyster Bay Engine 558 responded to this alarm. Members from Oyster Bay worked with members from the Syosset Fire Department, Hicksville Fire Department, Jericho Fire Department, East Norwich Fire Department, Plainview Fire Department and Bethpage Fire Department’s Ladder Company 3. Firefighters were faced with a large volume of fire on the 2nd floor of a private dwelling with extension into the walls and attic space. Members from Oyster Bay operated on scene for about half an hour before being released. While returning to Oyster Bay, Engine 558 was directed to respond to the scene of the first fire on Northern Blvd. Members responded into this location and assisted heavy machinery operators who were demolishing the structure. The materials being removed were still smoldering and needed to be extinguished by firefighters prior to being removed. Members operated at this scene for about an hour.